- Allow enough time in class. Give students enough time to complete the application and ask questions.
- Online registration is preferable. Registering online is quicker and easier, and doesn’t require you or students to return a paper application.
- Return paper applications on time. If you do use paper applications, collect them and mail them back. To be valid, they must be received by election officials within 10 days of when they are signed.
- Resolve questions about eligibility. If a student isn’t sure they are eligible to register, instruct them to wait. You or the student can call the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Office at 1-877-600-VOTE for basic questions about voter eligibility.
- Students will need to register at their polling place if the election is less than three weeks away. Pre-registration closes 21 days before the election. Anyone not registered at that time will need to register at their polling place and show proof of residence.
Who can register?
- Students who are 18 years old can register.
- Students who are 17 1/2 years old and will turn 18 on or before Election Day can also register. For example, any student who will turn 18 between May and Election Day in November can register.
- In addition, the student must be:
- A U.S. citizen.
- A resident of Minnesota for at least 20 days.
- Finished with all parts of any felony sentence.
- Students can vote while under guardianship unless a judge specifically has revoked their right to vote.
Register online with the online voter registration application, or download applications to print and distribute.
Returning completed applications
- Check for legibility. The county election official may not be able to process the application if it can't be read.
- Check that all required fields are complete.
- Make sure the application is received by election officials within 10 days of the signature date. Mail or drop off applications to the correct county election office or to:
Secretary of State
First National Bank Building
332 Minnesota Street, Suite N201
Saint Paul, MN 55101