How to order copies of filings & certificates
NOTE: If you have registered a business and just recently completed a filing online and did not receive a copy of the filing by email, you can sign in to your online account and go to your transaction history to download a copy of the filing.
All fees for orders can be found here.
What is a Certificate of Good Standing?
A Certificate of Good Standing is a certificate that shows that a business entity is filed and currently active on the record to do business in the state from which it is issued; at the time of issuance.
Instructions to order Copies or Certificate online, mail or in person.
How to Order Copies & Certificates Online:
Copies and Certificates are returned electronically. Certificates are issued immediately upon payment, while some copy orders can take 7 to 10 days.
- Go to the Business Filings Online page to get started.
- Search for the business registration: can search our online database under the “Search Business Filings” section. You may search using the business name or by the file number issued by our office. If you’d like to search by file number be sure to click on the words “File Number” before entering the number.
NOTE: The specific punctuation in the business name is not required when searching by business name.
- Additional Tools: Below the search box are some additional tools search you may use to locate the business registration in our system:
Search Scope: If you choose "Begins With" the search will locate business registrations that start with the same words you enter. If you choose "Contains" the search will locate all business registrations that contain the words you enter.
Filing Status: If you choose "Active", the search will locate only active business registrations by the name or file number entered. If you choose "Inactive", the search will locate all inactive business registrations by the name or file number entered.
Include Prior Names: If you choose “Exclude”, the search will locate any business registration by the exact name you enter. If you choose “Include”, the search will locate any business registrations that have been previously registered with our office using the name entered. The “Include Prior Names” search is most helpful when looking for a company that may have changed its business name.
- Go to Business Record Details: Once you locate the business registration you are searching for, click the word "Details" toward the right side of the screen.
- Order Copies: Click on the box “Order Copies” located at the top of the page which will direct you to the “Filing History”. The filings are listed separately. Locate which filing(s) you would like to order and check the box next to the corresponding document. After you’ve chosen which filings you would like to order you may click on the box that says “Order Selected Copies”.
- Select Certified or Non Certified Copies: It will then prompt you to select a Certified Copy or Non-Certified Copy. A Certified Copy includes an additional page with a certification stamp stating that the document(s) are true and complete copies as filed for record in the office.
Note: Documents titled as the “Original Filing” are the registrations that were submitted when the business was first filed with our office. Example: For a MN Corporation it would be a copy of the Certificate and Articles of Incorporation, for an Assumed Name it would be a copy of the Certificate of Assumed Name, etc.
- Enter Delivery Information: Enter the email address where you would like the copies delivered to. All online copy orders are returned electronically to the email address you list on this screen. Some copies orders can take 7 to 10 days to be sent out.
To Order a Certificate of Status Online:
- Follow steps 1-4 listed above.
- Choose "order certificate from business details screen: Once on the Business Record Details screen click on Order Certificate button (near the top of the page).
- Enter Delivery Information: All Certificates of Status are emailed directly to the email address you enter on this page within 10-15 minutes after payment.
- Close the pop-up window by clicking "Ok".
- Click Submit to complete the order.
- Record Your Order Number: Write down or print out the Order Number listed on the Order Confirmation page. This can be used by our office to locate the Order should there be any issues. .
- Continue to Make Payment: Once on the US Bank page you will have the option to set up an e-service account with US Bank. The US Bank e-service account will store your credit card information for future transactions.
- Choose "Pay without Registering": You can by-pass the US Bank e-services registration by clicking on “Pay Without Registering”. This allows you to process a one-time payment with your credit card.
- Complete payment process: The US Bank site will accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover or American Express.
- Check for Two Emails: Once the payment is completed you will receive two emails. The first email will be a payment confirmation email from US Bank. The second email will be a notification from our office when the order has been processed.
- Download your certificate: You must click on the link within the email to download a copy of the certificate. The link is only valid for 90 days. The certificate is titled “Data Report” on the webpage that the link will bring you to and will be in PDF Format.
To Order Copies & Certificates by Mail:
Public service counters at the office are currently closed. Please call or email for any services.
Items can be dropped off at the Retirement Systems of MN Bldg at 60 Empire Drive in St. Paul.
Submit a written request or use the Corporate Copy/Certificate Form by mail with the applicable fee.
Make Checks Payable to Minnesota Secretary of State
Minnesota Secretary of State
Retirement Systems of Minnesota Building
60 Empire Drive, Suite 100
Saint Paul, MN 55103
(Staffed 8:00 - 4:00, Monday - Friday, excluding holidays)