State, county and local roles
Local election officials manage elections with support from the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State.
Office of the Secretary of State’s key roles
- Certify election equipment.
- Administer the Statewide Voter Registration System.
- Provide technical assistance to local election officials.
- Monitor compliance of state election laws.
County’s key roles
- Process voter registration applications.
- Ballot layout and printing.
- Apply or remove challenges to voter records.
- Purchase and maintain supplies and election equipment, including accessible voting equipment.
- Program and test all voting equipment.
- Issue absentee ballots.
- Forward election violations to law enforcement for investigation.
- Train and certify city, township and school district local election officials.
- Compile election results and transmit to the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State website.
- Conduct post-election audits.
City, town and school district key roles
- Set precinct boundaries and secure polling locations.
- Hire election judges and assign to precincts.
- Train and certify election judges, if delegated by county.
- Administer health care facility absentee voting.
- Administer absentee balloting, if delegated by county.