In September 2016, Secretary of State Steve Simon launched the Minnesota Business Snapshot, a new initiative designed to better serve Minnesotans by providing the public—from consumers to small business owners to educational institutions—with critical data and information on the economic and demographic make-up of Minnesota’s businesses.
The Minnesota Business Snapshot (MBS) is a voluntary, five-question survey now being offered to nearly 550,000 new and existing businesses in Minnesota as they file an original filing and subsequent annual renewals and/or annual reinstatements. To date, over 157,000 businesses have participated. The survey was put together with the input of individual business owners, business organizations, non-profits, and researchers from across the state.
The survey asks Minnesota business owners a variety of questions, including how many full time employees they have; whether they self-identify as a member of a specific community, such as a veteran, woman, or community of color; the industry or field in which the business operates; whether it’s a full-time or part-time endeavor; and gross revenues for the past year.
The Minnesota Business Snapshot makes it easier and more convenient for business owners to identify potential partners, for consumers to target their spending, and for the public and educational institutions to better understand the economic and demographic makeup of our state’s business community.
There are two Minnesota Snapshot Data currently available to purchase:
Note: A Registered User Account will be required to access the Minnesota Snapshot Bulk Data file.
As a service to the public, the Secretary of State’s Office provides information collected from the Minnesota Business Snapshot to state, county, and municipal governments at no cost.
If you are interested in purchasing the Minnesota Business Snapshot Bulk Data, please contact the Business Information Lines at (651) 296-2803 or 1-877-551-6767.
For the complete list of Minnesota Business Snapshot survey questions and response options, see below:
1. (Select up to one) - How many Minnesota – based full time employees (or FTE equivalents) does this entity currently have?
2. (Select all that apply) - Does the owner or a member of the ownership group of this entity self-identify as a member of any of the following communities?
3. (Select up to one) - Using NAICS codes below, please select the code that best describes this entity. If you believe this entity falls into more than one category, please select the category that generates the majority of the entity’s revenue.
a) Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting (Code 11)
b) Mining (Code 21)
c) Utilities (Code 22)
d) Construction (Code 23)
e) Manufacturing (Codes 31-33)
f) Wholesale Trade (Code 42)
g) Retail Trade (Codes 44-45)
h) Transportation and Warehousing (Codes 48-49)
i) Information (Code 51)
j) Finance and Insurance (Code 52)
k) Real Estate Rental and Leasing (Code 53)
l) Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services (Code 54)
m) Management of Companies and Enterprises (Code 55)
n) Administrative and Support and Waste Management and Remediation Services (Code 56)
o) Educational Services (Code 61)
p) Health Care and Social Assistance (Code 62)
q) Arts, Entertainment, and Recreation (Code 71)
r) Accommodation and Food Services (Code 72)
s) Other Services (except Public Administration) (Code 81)
t) Public Administration (Code 92)
4. (Select up to one) Is this entity a full time or part time endeavor for those primarily responsible for operating this entity?
5. (Select up to one) - If applicable, what were this entity’s gross revenues for the past year?