May 10, 2016
Candidate filing period runs May 17 to May 31
SAINT PAUL — Today, the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State reminds individuals interested in running for most public offices in Minnesota in 2016 that the official candidate filing period begins in one week.
The official filing period runs from May 17 to May 31, and candidates for federal, state, county, and some local offices must file for office during this period for their name to appear on the ballot.
Candidate filing requirements vary depending on the office, whether the candidate is a member of a major or minor political party, and whether the office is partisan or nonpartisan.
- Candidates for President, Vice-President, and U.S. Representative must file with the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. (Please note: the filing dates and process for President and Vice-President are different depending if a candidate is part of a major political party or non-major political party. For more information, click here.)
- Candidates for State Senator, State Representative, and any Judicial office may file with the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State or the county auditor of the county in which the candidate resides.
- Candidates for county offices must file with their county auditor.
- Municipal candidates must file with their municipal clerk.
- School district candidates must file with their school district clerk.
- Candidates for special districts, such as hospital or park districts, should contact the district’s office for information on the filing process.
Candidates can find information about filing for office, along with information on campaign finance, filing a campaign committee, and fair campaign practices, at www.sos.state.mn.us in the “Election Administration & Campaigns” section.
Contact: Ryan Furlong, 651-297-8919, firstname.lastname@example.org