Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government

Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State

International Student Exchange

Host a Foreign Student

International Student Exchange Organizations (ISEOs) bringing students to Minnesota for high school or other K-12 programs must first register with the Office of the Secretary of State, if the student's stay will be longer than 30 days.  Click for a current list of registered organizations.

Study Abroad

You can find information about studying abroad at the website of the Council on Standards for International Educational Travel (CSIET), a self-regulatory trade group, which licenses and reviews student exchange groups. The CSIET Advisory List is especially helpful if you are interested in studying abroad, as it includes links to many ISEOs.

Minnesota Statutes 5A.06 provides that complaints about International Student Exchange Organizations may be submitted to the Office of the Minnesota Secretary of State. The Secretary has the authority to forward these complaints to the Council on Standards for International Educational Travel (CSIET) and the U.S. Department of State. The Secretary also has the discretion to further investigate situations raised in complaints to determine whether the complaint is an isolated instance, or whether there is a systemic problem with placements by an organization. If the Secretary determines that the organization has failed to remain in compliance with the appropriate legal requirements, the registration of the organization may be terminated.

Last updated: 3/1/2011 4:39:37 PM