Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government

Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State

Any sole-proprietorship or general partnership that conducts business in Minnesota under a name that does not contain the full name of each individual doing business as a proprietor or partner, must file a Certificate of Assumed Name.

Any corporation, limited partnership or limited liability company that conducts business under a name other than the exact legal name of the entity, must file a Certificate of Assumed Name.

After filing with this office, you must publish the Certificate of Assumed Name with a qualified
Legal Newspaper for two consecutive issues in the county where the principal place of business is located.  After publication, the newspaper will return an affidavit of publication which should be retained by the business.  Failure to publish may render the filing invalid. 

An annual renewal is required once each calendar year.  There is no charge for filing the annual renewal unless the assumed name is expired for failure to file an annual renewal, in which case there is a reinstatement fee.

For more information, see Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 333

Other Business Resource Links

Filing Fees 

File your business document online

Forms are available for filing by mail or in person 

Last updated: 2/19/2015 7:50:35 AM