Skip to page body Home About Community Living Doing Business Browse by Topic I Want to... Your Government

Minnesota Office of the Secretary of State

A nonprofit corporation files articles of incorporation with this office and is formed for a purpose not involving monetary gain and paying no dividends to its members.  It may form for any lawful purpose, including the conduct of commercial activities. 

If you intend to apply for IRS federal tax exemption as a charitable organization, your articles of incorporation must contain a required purpose clause and a dissolution of assets provision.  Valuable information on 501(c)(3) qualification is on the IRS website, and then under "Information For...", click on the Charities and Nonprofits link.  

There are also a number of helpful websites about nonprofits and their activities maintained by the Attorney General, the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits, the Minnesota Council of Foundations, and the Management Assistance Program for Nonprofits.

An annual renewal is required once each calendar year.  There is no charge for filing the renewal.

For more information, see Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 317A.

Other Business Resource Links

Filing Fees  

File your business document online

Forms are available for filing by mail or in person 


Last updated: 2/19/2013 10:42:49 AM